Welcome to what I hope will become a regular new feature on kenmccarthy.ie. Things I Pay For will introduce a web service or product that I have actually committed to by paying for either on a one-off or ongoing basis, in some cases, I avail of these services through family subscriptions and in others, I pay using my mobile credit. Some I get through work and while most are paid monthly I do have a few annual subscriptions too. This first post is about taking stock at the start of 2021 of the things I do currently pay for, from next week on I will start to try and explain in a bit more detail, what the service is and why I think it is worth paying for.
The list as it stands right now (02/01/21) is as follows:
Music & Video, Free Amazon Delivery
The Irish Times
Radio Tunes paid using mobile credit
The Times paid using mobile credit
Medium paid using mobile credit
Microsoft Office 365 Family
Online Storage, Office Applications
Spotify included in a family subscription
YouTube Premium included in a family subscription
Music & Video
Disney+ included in a family subscription
Graphic Design Software
I think that about covers it but I have not included web hosting and domain registration that I also pay for (I might write a separate post on that at some stage). Twenty three subscriptions in total and some are relatively new while others I have had for some time, the newest on the list is the Ancestry subscription as I only started that at the end of December. The oldest is either Netflix or 750 Words.
When I write it all down it seems a lot and there are many other free services that I use that are not on this list but some do have premium versions so I may subscribe at some point in time in the future. The monthly cost of all these services rounds up to €75 but with the use of phone credit for the three highlighted above it has a net monthly cost of €58 which works out at less than €2 a day. The three I pay annually come to about €150 in total or another 40c to bring my daily total to €2.50, I doubt that I would get a decent cup of coffee for the same price.
What I do get is the full use of the premium services and subscriptions and in the case of a number of the services I support the knowledge that I am helping to make the web a slightly better and more useful place. I could spend a little bit less if I really wanted to and there are a number of services that are duplicated on the list, do I really need three (or it is four) music streaming services? Do I even use them all?
I would be really interested to hear about the things that you think are worth paying for, maybe there are treasures out there that I haven’t discovered just yet and do feel free to ask about anything on my list that piques your interest.
YOUR LAST MONTH
You started your words 31 out of 31 days
You completed 750 words every day. YOU ARE AWESOME!
You wrote 24,243 words
This month’s goal: stay gold!
EVERYONE ELSE LAST MONTH
There were 5,324 writers
They wrote a total of 58,214,823 words! WOAH
Of the 514 people who started the Monthly Challenge, 225 made it to the end (43%)
So far, 369 people have signed up for this month’s challenge.
YOUR 750 WORDS HISTORY
Thank you for being a LIFETIME MEMBER!
You joined 750 Words 3,811 days ago
You’ve started your words on 3,809 days
You’ve completed 750 words on 3,134 days
You’ve written a total of 3,135,585 words
- Tuesday December 1st – 880 words
- Wednesday December 2nd – 763 words
- Thursday December 3rd – 770 words
- Friday December 4th – 763 words
- Saturday December 5th – 759 words
- Sunday December 6th – 762 words
- Monday December 7th – 773 words
- Tuesday December 8th – 756 words
- Wednesday December 9th – 772 words
- Thursday December 10th – 882 words
- Friday December 11th – 763 words
- Saturday December 12th – 753 words
- Sunday December 13th – 756 words
- Monday December 14th – 754 words
- Tuesday December 15th – 756 words
- Wednesday December 16th – 777 words
- Thursday December 17th – 780 words
- Friday December 18th – 1042 words
- Saturday December 19th – 755 words
- Sunday December 20th – 768 words
- Monday December 21st – 758 words
- Tuesday December 22nd – 753 words
- Wednesday December 23rd – 761 words
- Thursday December 24th – 756 words
- Friday December 25th – 778 words
- Saturday December 26th – 755 words
- Sunday December 27th – 773 words
- Monday December 28th – 786 words
- Tuesday December 29th – 787 words
- Wednesday December 30th – 777 words
- Thursday December 31st – 775 words